First, I disassembled it, and cleaned off the dust. :o) I gave it a light sanding with 150 grit sand paper, and peeled away any loose/bubbled laminate. Then I began with a coat of Adhesion Primer using a really soft 100% nylon brush. I tried using a foam roller, but I didn't like the texture it left.
Then I put on 2 coats of black paint. I waited a couple days between each coat. This really tested my patience. I prefer to work hard on a project and not stop until it's done. I don't like to wait! When the paint was fully cured, I tested my finger nail on the back of the shelf, and the paint scratched off a bit too easily in my opinion, so I followed the tip in that article I posted above, and put on a coat of satin polyurethane using a foam brush. I let it cure for several days before I reassembled the cart.
I'm pleased with the result, and now I'm inspired to do this to more of my ugly furniture! I'm not sure why I bought a whole gallon of that black paint. I certainly didn't use very much of it. Looks like I'll be painting more stuff black. :o)